Monday, March 12, 2012

How to install SQL 2012 on Windows 8

During the weekend, I was playing around with Windows 8 Customer Preview.

First I tried to install SQL Server 2012 RC0 as I had the installer already, but I ran into an issue (missing system CLR types). I decided not to handle this, since SQL Server 2012 RTM is available now. So I tried to install that one instead.

A smaller issue came up again. But Andre Ziegler saved my day with his post in one of the Windows 8 Developer Preview forums.

So, it's better running the script before you start the installation.
You'll have to run cmd as administrator, insert your Windows install disc and type:
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
Don't forget to check the drive letter of the source and replace it if necessary.

SQL Server 2012 is installed and running now on Windows 8. Thanks Andre :)

5 comments:

  1. If you prefer using GUI, use Server Manager and add .NET 3.5 feature - equal to the script in the post.
    You might even do it during SQL Server installation - but before final progress bar starts going :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Szymon. Actually, I prefer using GUI :) However this post is about installing SQL Server 2012 on Windows 8, not Windows Server 8.
    I know where to find the Control Panel item which can enable Windows features, but it timed out every time. With DISM, it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so you are saying that when I had installed windows 8; I have to run the script in the cmd, then Install SQL 2012?

    Please let me know if I am correct.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure - before that.
      Sorry, I completely overlooked your comment.

      Delete

  4. this is very good nice article. this is very useful for
    MSBI
    students.


    ==========================================================
    This is very nice article. This is very use ful for
    MSBI Learners.
    http://www.bytesonlinetraining.com/msbi-online-training/
    ===========================================================

    hi sir. i want to do
    MSBI training.

    MSBI
    ONlINE TRAINING Thanks for providing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete