- There will be no Datacenter Edition of SQL Server 2012. Customers should buy Enterprise Edition instead.
- There will be three main editions: Standard Edition, BI Edition, and Enterprise Edition.
- There will be no processor-based licenses. There will be core-based licenses and Server/CAL licenses.
- BI Edition will be available only with the Server/CAL licensing option. The Enterprise Edition will be available only with the core-based licensing option. Standard will still be available with both.
- The price of 4 core licenses of SQL Server 2012 will be around the price of a processor license of 2008.
- The core licenses will be sold in as 2-core packs. Minimum amount to order is 4 cores (two 2-core packs) per physical processor.
- The price of a CAL increases with around 25%.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
There are a few changes in the licensing options compared to SQL Server 2008 R2. Just to list the main changes: